What more could anyone ask for?



October is here - and a mixed bag of weather from torrential rain to mild and sunny days. The last 2 sundays have been perfect weather for walking in the late autumn sunshine.
Last week, after guests staying over for the weekend, we took Bruno for a late sunday afternoon stroll to Pennington Flash, a local site favourite with wildlife enthusiasts and walkers alike. Now, those who know me know very well that I am not a walker - but I must say that I am really enjoying these latest communing with nature exploits. I am taking some good photos and then have something worth sharing on my blog - and Bruno gets some good, healthy exercise also!!








Then this weekend we we lucky to be invited by an old friend to go visit. She lives with her family in the grounds of Newstead Abbey in nottinghamshire. I have never been there before but it turns out that my Dad, as a youth, used to cycle there from Grantham on a sunday with the YMCA - a fitter man than me that's for sure! The Abbey's history dates back to 1170, with the building of a priory at Newstead, Nottinghamshire in the heart of Sherwood Forest. Said to have been built as part of Henry II's penance for his part in the murder of Thomas A Becket, The grounds and gardens are stunning and of course, another sunny weekend showed it in fine fettle - peacocks wandering around on your front lawn and swans and other wildlife on your back lawn - magical. The abbey was also once owned by the Byron family and the lake has two small forts, which the odd 5th Lord Byron (not the poet! but his father I think) used to stage mock naval battles, involving a fleet of vessels including a miniature 20-gun ship. Good food, good company, great surroundings and a bit of culture - what more could anyone ask for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Eurovision!!!

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo