Do-nuts and flying don't mix........



Was lucky enough to be invited to Alton Towers at the weekend to help celebrate a 7th birthday - what fun! I jumped at the chance but made it very clear that I didn't do scary, high, up and down or even upside down. I'm ok with spinning and I was happy to hold the bags oh, and I didn't do "wet" either. Perhaps not helped by husband suggesting that I beware of any rides that conquer gravity in fear of bursting open from my operation scar (ever the optimist!!).
Little did I realise what the power of persuasion and the potential humiliation of being outsmarted by a 9 year old!!!

The day itself turned out to be another lovely spring day with the promise of sunshine and clear skies - and my decision not to take a jacket was vindicated. Found the way there fine with the trusty satnav, parking no problem. First stop the monorail from the car park to the entrance gates - explained that this would probably fulfill my excitement quota for the day.

Straight into the park - and as it is nearly 30 years since I was last there - it was all new to me and what amazed me first was the space and the beauty of the old home, the gardens and the expanse of water. Anyway enough of culture - next stop food - lunch was eaten at 10.30am- at least one less bag to carry!

The rides themselves look amazing - and some I would run a mile from definitely, however at risk of being shown up for a complete wuss I was persuaded to go on at least 7 rides (admittedly one or two of these were very tame) I went on Blade (big pirate ship) and in the Haunted House (where I got the highest score for shooting zombies - just goes to show how scared I was) but the biggest thing was being persuaded by a 9 year old that Air! was peaceful and just like flying! Never again- especially after do-nuts. If you've never been on it - this is a ride where the floor disappears and you're tipped facing the ground and then round you go at speed on a roller coaster that turns you upside down, back to front etc. The worst indignity is that they then take your photo in the middle of this - I honestly looked like a troll!!!

My favourite was the Spinball Whizzer - although this was in essence a waltzer on a roller coaster it was brill - although the 9 year old next to me was deafened by my alternate screams and maniacal, hysterical laughter. Would go on that one again definitely.

Anyway, we were there for nearly 8 hours - and all of them enjoyable. I'd definitely go again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Eurovision!!!

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo