Do you have a wiki?



I've been teaching my family to use wikis - what a great application.
We have decided to have a big get together for Halloween weekend and, as I've been off work for a while convalescing, I was tasked with finding somwhere that would take 16 of us and 5 dogs - no easy task I can tell you!
Finally found a fantastic place in Lincolnshire where we have rented 3 apartments in the grounds of an old hall- but where was everyone to sleep to ensure any room sharing preserved modesty and the 5 dogs were spread out?
After a few emails backwards and forwards between everyone - waiting for replies and making sure that everyone had access to all the info, I suddenly had a brainwave (doesn't happen very often). Why not use a wiki. I have been using these with both undergraduate and post graduate students and on abstracts and publications with colleagues in NZ and USA successfully for some time as a means of sharing and networking so thought I'd give it a go.
I set one up (very easy) , told everyone to watch the youtube video (linked above) and started three pages - 1) where everyone was sleeping, 2) finance (deposit and full monies due etc as a spreadsheet so everyone knew where they were upto) and 3) Items to bring - for example who's bringing the ghost stories, pumpkins, games and of course all the food we'll need for us all.

It's working a treat - everyone's contributed - in fact the older generation have been the most keen and we are well on the way to a great weekend.

Here's to more web 2.0 and a great halloween weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo

It was alright when it left here.............