Of Stair Sprites, Hobble goblins and Aliens


Is it Murphy's Law that states "anything that can go wrong will go wrong"? I think there should also be a Law that states that misfortune will fall at the most inconvenient of moments - if there isn't one already then I claim this as Ichabod's Law!
This particular time seems to be one of my busiest in the year so far, heavily involved in a research project interviewing participants and analysis of transcripts ready for a first report at the end of the month, developing a resource in Second Life for further research in its educative and practice value within occupational therapy, an invitation to co-author a book chapter, a workshop presentation to plan for the World Federation of OT Congress in Chile (my goodness my best wishes go out to all over there at the moment) and a trip to MEN to see my hero Cesar Millan the Dog Whisperer (not to mention the day job of teaching, marking and planning for the next round of intake for our online MSc).
So.....with all this going on I felt I deserved a long weekend visiting my family in the depths of Lincolnshire, having closeted myself away for so long I was looking forward to relaxing family meals, shopping and maybe an antiques fair or two before returning to the hard slog.

And then the Stair Sprite struck.

Now, for those of you not familiar with this particular being, the Stair Sprite lays in wait usually towards the top of a flight of stairs and either places obstacles on the step, unseen by human eye, moves bannisters a fraction to the left so that human hands cannot reach, or just generally pushes, shoves or twists human feet whilst they are walking downstairs. (It can happen whilst walking upstairs - who hasn't done that? But that is not half so much fun for the Stair Sprite as less damage can be done this way - unless they are an Adept Stair Sprite).

I am now familiar with this Sprite, we have met on numerous occasions - the last important encounter was 2 years ago when I fractured my coccyx and 2 of my fingers! Anyway on this occasion I encountered the Sprite on the last few steps, slipped and twisted my foot underneath me as I fell. OUCH!! Dad was there to administer first aid and TLC (served his National Service in the Medical Corps in Korea) and I was duly led, hopping and whimpering, to the sofa, foot raised and a bag of frozen veg placed as a cold compress on my ankle - which had begun to swell with magical proportions.
To cut a very long story short -not being one particularly struck overall with hospitals - I convinced everyone it was a sprain and therefore didn't need to go - also knew that would be there ages and would have to forego Chinese Spare Ribs for tea (can only get these in Grantham and who knew when I would be back again!). Sunday arrived, ankle v. painful so (after Sunday lunch!) I agreed to go and have it checked out. Brother dropped myself and sister-in-law off at A&E and was v. impressed with speed in which I was seen. Consultant (v.young!) thought initially that sister-in-law was my daughter - I pointed out his error and he spent the rest of the consultation trying to make up for his gaffe!! Hmmm - didn't do great deal for my already waning self-image. Sent for x-ray and was told it was broken ankle - a chipped bone. Cast was put on, given a pair of crutches and sent home til fracture clinic in 3 days time. Where's an OT when you need one??

Oh no!!! What about Cesar, what about Chile, what about research!!!!!!! Immediately arranged for a relocated seat at Cesar show (priorities you understand!), had to just cross fingers that would be OK to go to Chile (and just hope I had the right insurance as all booked in advance).

Had to go to brother who lives in a bungalow as couldn't manage stairs (how do people do that?) in fact wasn't very good on crutches (how to people do that??) and spent rest of the time being waited on, looked after and occasionally bumping into furniture as I tried to negotatiate my way through the house. Started thinking about what colour I would choose for my next cast, where I could get a raised toilet seat from and why there are no leaflets in A&E from OTs re basic ADL with a cast?? (Why is that??) - I could feel another project coming on..........

Well, would you believe it, at the fracture clinic, the orthopaedic consultant said the break was an old one!!! I have never had treatment for a fracture (in fact as a child I was desperate for one as I wanted a cast - be very, very, very careful what you wish for...).

So when did that happen?? My conclusion (after considering good friend Nivea's suggestion that it was a miracle and should henceforth be known as St "Ichabod" - tempting but no thanks!) - I have been abducted by aliens and been operated and experimented on - that would explain rather a lot of things ........hmmm what do you think????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo

It was alright when it left here.............