I think I'm a pleb!!!



I went to the ballet last night for the first time (having managed 40 odd years without ever going before). I was with some good friends, in a box in a theatre with a good reputation. We went for tea before the performance and a foreward thinking member of the group even brought along cinder toffee and jelly babies to keep us going.
The ballet was Swan Lake - I knew the music well having worn out my parents LP of the same as a young girl - often offering my version of the choreography as I attempted my aspirational career as a prima -ballerina.
All was in place for a thoroughly good time........ but I HATED it!!!

I am so disappointed with myself - I expected to be transposed to a magical land full of high emotion and ethereal whatnots. Instead all I could think was that there was too much dancing!!
This by no means is a slight on the costumes and sets - absolutely stunning, the skill and expertise of each of the dancers - their mixture of strength and grace a marvel, or indeed the company of the evening. But each of these things retained individuality for me - I couldn't help thinking that the story was laboured and that there was perhaps a modicum of self indulgence.
Am I am complete philistine with no hope of cultural redemption?

(PS I don't like opera either!!!!)

Comments

Nivea said…
Phillistine - it was marvellous! It would be more worrying if you hated the jellybabies and cinder toffee as well though.
Next time we'll take you to bingo... (not that there's anything wrong with bingo..)

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Eurovision!!!

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo