Part 1: Validation.......the Early Years

 






Whilst sitting alone, working from home it is not easy to just reach out to someone to say "do you remember when..." or "did I ever tell you...." and I am finding that I am needing to do that more and more as the transition process into retirement picks up a pace. So, dear readers of my blog - you are my sounding board and my validation. Thank you, I hope the next few posts are not too self-indulgent.




As a 6th former (very Mallory Towers!) 1979/80 we were encouraged to take some work experience and for reasons I can't remember I chose to go to an occupational therapist working in Social Services - a Mrs Brown (yes...the first name culture hadn't reached a rural market town in Lincolnshire by then). I must have enjoyed it - the only memory I have is turning up with equipment to someone's home to be told that the patient had passed away - I think from that I understood empathy, the importance of good communication and the value of timely intervention - and applications were made to Occupational Therapy Schools.

"Schools" was the thing then - not programmes or university. It was a 3 year Diploma course. I experienced  my first professional rejection as my first choice - York - would have nothing to do with me (could be something to do with my predicted grades - I discovered going out was far more exciting than study as I started my A levels and I am ashamed to say I got less than impressive grades!).


My interview outfit
my interview outfit

I got an interview at St Andrew's in Northampton. A small school on the site of the private mental health hospital. I had my interview outfit, my Mum & Dad dropped me off and went shopping for the day and I tried to dazzle with my enthusiasm. I remember some sort of group exercise, a written piece of work and a 1:1 interview with the Head, Miss Van Garderan where I was asked what my Father did for a living (was I from a suitable background) and did I have a boyfriend (Miss Van Garderen scorned any relationship that may take a young gal away from her studies). I must have given the right answers as I was offered an unconditional place to start in the September of 1980. 

Off I went with my completed list  of things to bring - including a pair of scissors, a tape measure, a waterproof coat and a travel rug (never did find out why I needed one of those).


in the grounds of St Andrew's Hospital

All students were expected to live in the Nurses' home for the first year and then move out into rented accommodation for the second year, with the third year being out on placements. The home was run by a tyrant with eyes in the back of her head, a bunch of keys forever at her waist, an extremely rigid curfew and an apparent hatred of students - such fun!! However, my first night was not particularly text book - the Nurses' home was full and a few of us had been allocated rooms above the wards in the hospital. This meant lugging all my belongings through the grounds of the hospital to find that I was sharing a room with another OT student - but not only a room!! A double bed!!!!! These were the days of "like it or lump it" and Jill and I spent a slightly uncomfortable night.However, it cemented our friendship. Luckily we were found rooms in the Nurses' home the next day - another lugging of belongings back through the grounds of the hospital - but this time with relief. 

me and Jill


Not only my own room - but my own bed!! My toaster, kettle, radio were all installed and I was "home" for the next year. 



Then followed the learning - including mandatory evening school twice a week at a local FE college to learn woodwork and touch typing and a trip across the town every Thursday to Nene College (now a university) for Anatomy & Physiology lessons. I learned how to set up an Adana printing press, how to use a bicycle fret saw, how to make a cup of tea wearing a blindfold, how to weave using a standing loom, how to make a basket from willow and how to make a stool seat. Not once do I remember applying these skills to therapeutic intervention - but then again I wasn't always the best attender or the best student. I have recently reconnected with a few of my OT student friends and sharing our memories has confirmed that either my memory is not good - or I was missing for quite a bit of what I should have been there for!! 



me pouring hot water into the cistern to thaw out the loo!!

Moving out into rented accommodation felt very liberating. Our group of friends managed to get 2 houses in the same street which was handy for the school so all was well. But sooooooo cold in the winter - no central heating. 



......and maybe 'one or two' parties were thrown - a mix of students and friends from home made for some great times. Oh, and I think there was study going on in all of the fun too!!

As I have mentioned the final year was placements, apart from a brief one day a week observation placement. Mine was in a local locked ward where, trying to put into practice what I had been learning about facilitating independence, I encouraged a rather large youth to have a go at tying his own tie and I was duly thrown across the room - literally!! Surprisingly, this didn't put me off and my clinical specialty was to be Forensic psychiatry. Then followed a 4 week "starter" placement. This for me was at a hospital in London - no memory of the placement but I do remember living in an apartment at the top of a huge house on Kew Green - and I can't believe I didn't visit Kew Gardens!

We moved placements every three months and this could be anywhere in the country travelling back for exams for the day - no mean feat using British rail and having various changes to make to get to your destination on time.

a) Social Services in Hounslow - renting a room from an ArchDeacon and his wife in their beautiful home and cycling around areas such as Feltham with raised loo seats and other equipment in my bicycle basket

b) Norwich - Mental health. Both placement and social life the best ever and what led me to want to work there on qualifying - which I did (more of that in future post)

c) Tooting Bec - mental health. Not long after the Brixton riots (one tube stop ahead) and still rather a difficult atmosphere with various gangs around the streets. This was the placement where I took a group of in-patients on a trip and we got stuck on the underground in a tunnel for about an hour - that was a steep learning curve!! Too many hilarious things happened here to mention but just to say the Nurses' home was legend - but not for the right reasons - rats in the kitchen for one. My address was Room 1 the Nurses's home so I had the "honour" of having to answer the door anytime anyone had a visitor. The other side of my window was a busy road with pedestrian crossing - used _alot_. 

d) Poole - general in patient orthopaedics- splinting! All I can say is - not my forte. Had a great time with all of my cousins - even got taken to a football match to watch Spurs. However, due to sickness absence I was unable to complete my full hours so had to do another placement after my final exams. 


Final exams took place on my 21st birthday - lovely!! Given that I had spent the previous evening drinking home made peach wine I'm surprised I got through - but I did!

My final hours for placement were made up on a placement back in Norwich which meant I  was well placed to apply for a basic grade rotational post - which I got!! I started work 19th September 1983.



TO BE CONTINUED.......

Part 1:Validation, the Early Years

https://ichabodsday.blogspot.com/2020/09/validationthe-early-years.html

Part 2: Of First days, Roles and Responsibilities

https://ichabodsday.blogspot.com/2020/09/of-first-days-first-roles-and.html

Part 3: Developing, Progressing, Evolving

https://ichabodsday.blogspot.com/2020/09/part-3-developing-progressing-evolving.html

Part 4: Of Culture Shocks, Mentors and A Professional Language

https://ichabodsday.blogspot.com/2020/09/part-4-of-culture-shocks-mentors-and.html

Part 5: Technology, Publications and Collaborations

https://ichabodsday.blogspot.com/2020/09/this-next-period-spans-20-years-so-i.html

Part 6: Of National and International Involvement, Swansongs and Goodbyes

https://ichabodsday.blogspot.com/2020/09/post-6-of-national-and-international.html

Comments

JulesB said…
Known you for 37 years, but finding out new things about you all the time. A lovely read, and also a valuable one, as it would have been for you to write. We should remember all we have been, done, and are still full of, wonderful time capsules, and also ti.e travellers. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
I am fiƱding this fascinating - love this bit:

"I encouraged a rather large youth to have a go at tying his own tie and I was duly thrown across the room - literally!! Surprisingly, this didn't put me off and my clinical specialty was to be Forensic psychiatry."

But did the tie get tied.....

Angela said…
I don’t think it ever did! I think he was removed to a place of isolation for a short time but to be honest I can’t remember any more than that. Thanks for reading.

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Eurovision!!!

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo