Do you have a wiki?



I've been teaching my family to use wikis - what a great application.
We have decided to have a big get together for Halloween weekend and, as I've been off work for a while convalescing, I was tasked with finding somwhere that would take 16 of us and 5 dogs - no easy task I can tell you!
Finally found a fantastic place in Lincolnshire where we have rented 3 apartments in the grounds of an old hall- but where was everyone to sleep to ensure any room sharing preserved modesty and the 5 dogs were spread out?
After a few emails backwards and forwards between everyone - waiting for replies and making sure that everyone had access to all the info, I suddenly had a brainwave (doesn't happen very often). Why not use a wiki. I have been using these with both undergraduate and post graduate students and on abstracts and publications with colleagues in NZ and USA successfully for some time as a means of sharing and networking so thought I'd give it a go.
I set one up (very easy) , told everyone to watch the youtube video (linked above) and started three pages - 1) where everyone was sleeping, 2) finance (deposit and full monies due etc as a spreadsheet so everyone knew where they were upto) and 3) Items to bring - for example who's bringing the ghost stories, pumpkins, games and of course all the food we'll need for us all.

It's working a treat - everyone's contributed - in fact the older generation have been the most keen and we are well on the way to a great weekend.

Here's to more web 2.0 and a great halloween weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Freedom, Dame Maggie and knowing that leggings are the work of Satan

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo

But what do you do....?