Back from the land of Far Horizons.........................................................

Ok, have been back to Lincolnshire again this weekend after a 2 day stop off in Derbyshire to carry out my external examiner role at the University of Derby. It has been well documented on facebook - but suffice to say that my plebian tendencies were very much to the fore as I sat alone in the v. posh hotel dining room. Had hoped to be inconspicuous - but ended up being the ONLY person in a huge white, pristine dining room. Waiter couldn't have been any more "waiting" and was there to second guess my every whim. Apparently I now qualify for the term "madam" - hmm not sure too happy about that!
Sitting alone with my book (wish now that I had taken some classic or mighty tome - instead was the latest Maeve Binchy!) I was presented with a goat's cheese bonbon served on a china spoon and a bed of crushed tomato, "compliments of the house, madam" (hate goat's cheese but waiter was so pleased with himself and waited for my reaction so had to feign delight!). I ordered water which was presented for me to taste and then my glass filled almost with every mouthful (leave me alone!!!!). In the end the food was OK - if minimal/nouvelle cuisine - so quickly retired to me room, donned the trusty kaftan and ate biscuits!
Anyway, duty discharged I wended my way onto Grantham for a weekend with family.
Friday evening found me in Sleaford with my dad, my godmother and her husband, having been invited for fish and chips (never turn down good food!) and a good gossip. Imagine the conversation slowly moving on from ususal catching up news and then suddenly finding that you are in a room of 70 somethings and they are talking about their experiences of flashers - in graphic detail!! (1 as a seemingly perpetual victim of a variety of flashers and 2 as retired police -officers). Not what one might reasonably expect from an innocent friday teatime invitation. Some of the stories I could share with you if my modesty and online reputation were not a barrier!!!!
Saturday, caught up with a bit of shopping in Grantham - if you're reading this anyone from Grantham Council - what have you done to my home town??!! As someone who has a reputation for telling people how they should do their jobs I am close to writing an open letter to the Grantham Journal to point out where they are going wrong! Traffic, the market, cultural and historial landmarks - all are a complete shambles!!
Anyway - enough of my ranting - Saturday evening was spent with brother and family (overdosing on the usual chinese spare ribs I have to have whenever I visit)  - and a good hour's entertainment passed watching 3 teenage boys on turd patrol (clearning dog-poo from the lawn). The sounds and sights of shear disgust eminating from said boys was a delight - followed eventually by the inevitable competitions as to who had collected the most/ had the smelliest etc. All watched through the glass of a (very strong!!!) stawberry daiquiri.
After a spot of gardening on Sunday, Dad and I went out to lunch - very old restaurant called Catlins where Grantham gingerbread was first made, a quick look around the antique shop and then headed home leaving the land of the far horizons behind me for another time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Eurovision!!!

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo