The Moon Gazing Hare






For many years I have been fascinated by the Moon gazing Hare. It seems particularly prevalent in Norfolk (my adopted soul home) and can be seen adorning cards, tea towels and in the more skilled arts and craft fairs displaying the wares of talented artisans working in wood, metal and soft materials.On a recent trip I treated myself to one, finally, and many have been asking what it is? I decided a blog post might be in order. 

There is a history of hares being linked to the moon which is almost universal (you'll find stories of Hares and moons in Japan and China, Mexico and through Europe) and goes back to ancient times. Whether or not hares really gaze at the Moon is not really clear, but it certainly follows the moons evening progress, as an animal who is usually most active in twilight hours and certainly, we have long been fascinated by the hare - Britain's fastest land mammal, surrounded by myth and infamous for their 'mad' March courtship rituals.
The Myth of the Moon Gazing Hare reflects ancient beliefs. Pagans believed that seeing a moon gazing hare would bring growth, re-birth, and abundance, new beginnings and good fortune. 
  • In pre-Christian times the Hare was considered a sacred animal, entwined with the earth or white Goddess who was the provider of all things.
  • Queen Boudicca is said to have prayed to a hare Goddess before going into battle with the Romans. the Saxons who colonised Britain worshipped a Hare goddess.
  • It is suggested that the Hare is symbolic of our relationship with the land and could be identified with our need to temper our use of the natural environment.


So, here starts a link with the Hare and Boudicca - Queen of the Iceni (thus a link with Norfolk at that point). 

The hare is known to be sacred to the goddess Eostre and eventually became known as the Easter bunny. Hmm - not sure this is entirely correct but it would be a nice tidy way to know where the Easter Bunny came from. Wikipedia however seems to think he/she originated in Germany (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny)  Oh my! That post sent me on a spot of net surfing looking at whether the hare was considered an hermaphradite and could reproduce whilst still a virgin and therefore associated with the Virgin Mary on to the Trinity and the three hares motif.


 So, there is no easy answer to what this signifies exactly, I just know that I love it, it reminds me of Norfolk and there is mysticism attached to it. Happy reading!


By day I am a shadow that hides in the light,
By darkness a moonbeam that dances the night,
I am the spirit that runs with the Moon,
From Spring Time to harvest, in time
with Earth’s tune

I am the spirit of fresh greening fields,
I grow with the year till her harvest she yields
I am the last sheaf bound up with the corn,
The spirit of Earth, forever reborn
I am a shape changer, I change like the year
I fly as the Owl and I run as the Deer
The eggs of the Lapwing are left in my care,
For I am the Mystery and Magic, I am the Hare
So, if you should seek me lying close in my form,
I will run through your dreams from darkness till dawn.
Sharon L. Shute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Eurovision!!!

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo