Forgotten Memories...........

OK, so those of you who know me on Facebook will know that I have recently found some of my old diaries and have taken great delight in reading them! OMG!!!

I am now  being encouraged to publish some of them in the interests of posterity. Hmmm, I think a bit more editing is necessary before I expose the innocent.
Here is an extract to be going on with...

"Memo on 1978
I think I like this year best of all. I've been out to a lot of places and met no end of nice boys. I shall miss 1978 really and I hope that 1979 will be as much or even more fun."

I was 16 in 1978, this is the first diary of the series that covers my 16/17th years. I realise now that I was obsessed with boys, I was very fickle with my affections, I spent much too much time in pubs and ate an inordinate amount of chinese takeways!!!
The following is a very tame entry - just to ease you into it gradually (reading this I realise very little hs changed - given every opportunity to lounge about and I take it!!
Jan 22nd 1979
"We had the day off school today coz of the NUPE strike so I was meant to be revising for my exam on wednesday but I couldn't be bothered. I got up early and lounged about. I made another thread picture then I decided I'd better show willing so I got out some books, but...........
I did do a bit of Chaucer through. Mum and dad were out tonight so I had a long bath then washed and trimmed my hair (a bit too short!). Well after a thoroughly boring day I shall go to bed. Goodnight!"


Now, I am aware that publishing entries could be seen as self indulgent - so please let me know if you are interested or not! Please do not worry if you were part of my life during those years - I will anonymise all entries to protect you.

Comments

Jackie T said…
Angela - keep it up!
Re-presenting my teenage diaries on my blog has given me much pause for thought and many new insights. I started by being a bit selective, but then decided I would just reproduce the lot, with as little editting / censorship as I possibly could. This is the process that has made me really think about how I presented to the world then, how I present now, similarities and differences between me and my younger self, and how we consciously and unconsciously distort 'truths' when they are uncomfortable. There is something about putting them in the public arena which gives the process more impact than just re-reading old diaries. Keep on showing your diaries, for our pleasure, and for your own enlightenment!

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Eurovision!!!

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo