But what do you do....?

 


Being  rather introvert and reclusive, I try occasionally to push myself out of my comfort zone and actually go where I have to mix with and talk with real people. This not only involves getting out of my comfort zone, but also an effort of personal grooming that somehow seems to have eluded me increasingly  during the last 2 years.

In a previous post I already outlined that leggings are the work of Satan, but having to actually brush my hair, get my face into some semblance of a healthy and functioning human being, and putting an outfit together that doesn't involve slippers or baggy denim shirts seems to be a skill that eludes me most days.

Anyway, occasionally it's worth it. However, what is becoming increasingly noticeable is that, once I bring into the conversation that I am retired, I am met with a facial expression that ranges from envy to puzzlement, usually accompanied by the question "so what do you do with your time?".

My initial reaction is "oh I know this one" and  begin to answer - but come to an abrupt halt as soon as I open my mouth. What do I do? How do I explain what life is like with limited time restrictions, few deadlines, freedom of choice and a day more often than not that meanders, limitless, into the next?

Don't get me wrong, I achieve things, I have goals, I am productive when required - I am also a sloth by nature. So how do I answer the question "what do you do with your time?" 

I find myself mumbling something about - "I don't know, but I never seem to have enough time to do it", this seems to be enough of an answer for them.

I do know what I do with my time - but to explain it during a brief social interlude is not easy and quite possibly not wanted. To give an example of  yesterday which is quite typical, this is how I use my time:

1 - Wake between 3am and 3.30am - yes, most days, not necessarily a choice but I live with it. Do some writing, usually poetry as my muse visits early.

2 - take my second sleep between  7am and 9.30/10am - Second sleep is a thing- link here 

3. Get up, breakfast whilst watching BBC news and spend time flicking between all available news channels to try to get a non biased view of what's happening in the world. I put on one of the Parliamentary committees or inquiries - not because I'm high brow - but the nature of the questioning, the slippery answers, the characters are all fascinating - and I like to watch people at their work. Today the chair of the BBC is being questioned about his involvement in arranging a private loan for Boris Johnson

4. A bit of housework - mainly hoovering and folding laundry 

5. We have no food in the house, need to go shopping, might as well do the weekly shop - prepare list, drag menu ideas out of husband (it's like pulling teeth). Off to Tesco

6. Home with shopping, whilst putting stuff away, decided kitchen cupboards could do with a sponge down, so find myself down on my hands and knees cleaning cupboard doors - might as well scrub the floor whilst I'm there. Checked the dehumidifiers in the cupboards (we get a lot of condensation being an old house). Another "to do" that's been on the list for ages, ticked!

7. 2pm - need something to eat - have some lunch whilst reading my current book. Then decided it was such a fresh and sunny Feb day that I'd take the dog for a brief saunter in the cemetery.

8. Remember that I said I would update an old Facebook group that was originally intended as a book club and change to a more open group on book recommendations, sharing of ideas etc. So got on my computer to do that.

9. Remembered I'd had some notifications about new applications ready for grading for a Trust that I do some work for, went and did those too while my laptop was out.

10. Time to think about evening meal, eat, watch tv, browse through social media, 

11. Off to bed to catch up with the YouTubers I follow ready to fall asleep about 11.30pm.


Then tomorrow starts again. I may have a notional "to do" list of things I want to achieve that may be about mundane household tasks, creating something, sorting or solving something but the order and the timeline may not be fixed - and I'm loving that I am no longer tied to a fixed idea of what I "should" be doing. In fact the "doing" is not something we should be aiming for particularly but more the "being"within the "doing", the meaning and the purpose behind what is "done" I see as more important.

So, next time you think to ask a retired person "what do you do with your time" maybe consider asking them "what's a typical day like for you?" instead, in that way you will be able to put yourself in their place to judge how you might be in retirement too.

Thankyou for stopping by. Please feel free to comment below









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abseiling santa, sunshine and snow....

Eurovision!!!

Of time, marker events and arriving at work on a lilo